Blog Description

A French-Inspired Garden and Home by Judith Stringham

Monday, April 8, 2013

Blue and White Dishes

Blue and white
Bleu et blanc
dishes have called my name
over and over again...


Beginning more than forty years ago...
How can it be so many years?


Though I have no Blue Willow pieces,
I remember dining on Blue Willow as a child.
The scene on the bridge with the three people chasing each other
is still a vivd memory.
Why were they chasing each other?


The blue I'm drawn to is medium blue,
mostly periwinkle blues.


Scallop edges, floral patterns, butterflies, bees, 
dragonflies, birds, nests...


One of the first blue and white sets of dishes came from France,
via the island of Cyprus!
As a young Navy wife, I joined my husband on Cyprus
 on an unaccompanied tour of duty.
Meaning...pay your own way and very little goods were shipped.
We had to buy inexpensive dishes on Cyprus.
Most of these pieces were sold years ago in a garage sale,
but I did keep some deep serving/mixing bowls.
I know, what was I thinking?


Most of these I use everyday.
 Many have chips and/or crazing.


The dark blue banded cup with the gold rim is
Renaissance Lapis by Fitz and Floyd and
is the only set not used for everyday.


The seashell pattern is Nobilis by Fitz and Floyd.
I bought sets of twelve, plus various serving pieces,
in both Renaissance Lapis and Nobilis
at a Fitz and Floyd warehouse sale in Dallas years ago.



Botanic Blue by Portmeirion is one of my favorites.
Most of the pieces have a surprise someplace.  
See the butterfly inside the mug?

The pattern is discontinued, but I can find a few pieces once in a while.


After looking at the dishes in these photos again,
I realize that all of the patterns are discontinued.


The white sheer fabric the dishes are lying on
is a length of fabric I use as a table covering.
The pattern is white on white of bulbs,
some of which have roots.

My eyes never grow weary of looking at
beautiful blue and white botanical dishes,
even when I am washing them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm joining these inspiring linking parties...
the Scoop @ Cedar Hill Ranch
Savvy Southern Style
Fabulously Creative Friday @ Jennifer Rizzo
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Home Sweet Home @The Charm of Home
Blue Monday @ Smiling Sally

Featured at
Anything Blue Friday @ The Dedicated House



16 comments:

  1. I have quite a few blue and white dishes as ell, but most of mine are plates, platters and a few bowls. I do have my mother's soup tureen in blue and white. I'll have to look as it may be Blue Willow. I'm in love with your pieces -- especially the one with the birds next in the center! Thank you for sharing your lovely collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I knew in my heart that you would have blue and white dishes. I only have that one piece with the bird's nest in the center. I splurged to buy that one salad plate.

      Delete
  2. My comment just disappeared! As I was saying........your blue and white patterns are lovely. Can't miss with blue and white. As for the figures on the bridge.........the young couple is trying to escape the girl's father who doesn't approve of their relationship. '-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe my mom told me about the couple trying to escape the girl's father and that's why that scene in Blue Willow is so vivid in my mind's eye.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing these beautiful blue pieces. It must be a joy to use them.

    Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled to find your Blue Monday linking party. I do enjoy using blue dishes.

      Delete
  4. Happy Blue Monday! Awesome blues and beautiful patterns :) Great collection! Autumn greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. Spring greetings from Texas! Hope you are having wonderful fall weather. I saw on your blog that your children will be starting back to school soon. As a former teacher, I always loved going back to school each fall ... no joke!

      Delete
    2. We've had a great holiday - not doing much at all. Nice not to have to rush off to school - just take it easy for a change :) Only 10 weeks until our winter holiday... The weather brought us both beautiful sunny days and monsoon rain... An awesome mixture of everything! lol ~Pernilla

      Delete
  5. I have the same blue dishes by Nikko. I didn't know that pattern was discontinued. I love them and I see them every so often in Victoria magazine or on other blogs. Today I saw them again on your blog. We have good taste. Kerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the Nikko pattern is available at Replacements, Ltd. That is the pattern I use most as everyday dishes and several of the plates are crazed and chipped. Yes, we do have good taste. :)

      Judith

      Delete
  6. Very pretty pieces! I love blue and white and have been lucky enough to find some transferware but would love to have more blue and white patterns like yours to mix in. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some pretty medium blue and white plates at HomeGoods last week. They were a transferware pattern but not the dark blue. Thanks for stopping by. I'm off to visit Blue Clear Sky now.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! I love the plate with the bird's nest, the Fitz & Floyd cup with the shell and that aqua scroll plate. How wonderful they all look together with the florals thrown in for balance!
    Have a lovely week,
    Robin
    P.S. Mr. Linky is giving me problems so my Blue Monday is at http://weareflyingnow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Goodness! Your blue and white collection is gorgeous! You will be one of the features tomorrow at the Anything Blue Friday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button for your blog. Hope to see you again at the bash. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathryn, for featuring Botanic Bleu's blue dishes. For all of us blue lovers, your Anything Blue Friday party is a real treat.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Due to spam, I do not accept anonymous comments. If you become a follower through Google Friend Connect or Bloglovin', leave a comment so I can become a follower of your blog.

Judith